Try out your own paella at home
I thought that you may like trying out one of our most popular paella’s at home. Our paella mixta is a great dish that you can prepare in about 45 minutes for your friends and family. We still want to see you in our restaurants, but this is just in case you fancy being creative!
Would love to see some of your creations too, so post them up!
See you soon,
LA TASCA PAELLA MIXTA
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES COOK TIME: 40–45 MINUTES
For the paella
Tin of chopped tomatoes 1
Olive oil 2 tbsp
Fish stock cube 1
Spanish paella rice 300g
Chicken breast cut into small chunks 200g
Squid, roughly chopped 100g
King prawns 6
White onion, diced ½
Pepper, diced 1
Garlic cloves crushed 3
Frozen peas 30g
Green beans cut into small pieces 30g
Paprika 1 tsp
Saffron (or you can use 1 tsp of turmeric instead) 1 pinch
White wine 60ml
For the garnish
Mussels, cleaned and ready to cook 6
Lemon, cut into 6 wedges 1
Artichoke heart, tinned will be fine 1
Red pimiento peppers, sliced 50g
Pre-cooked Asparagus spears 4
1. Set a large paella pan (about 12–14”) or a similar sized ovenproof pan over medium heat on your stove. When hot, pour in 1 tbsp olive oil, add the onion and peppers, cook for 2–3 minutes until they begin to soften.
2. In a separate sauce pan, add the stock cube, saffron and water. Bring to the boil, stirring well so that everything dissolves. Simmer until ready to use.
3. Add the chicken, squid and king prawns to the paella pan; continue to cook for 1–2 minutes. Stir in the wine, let it quickly evaporate and move the mixture to one side of the pan.
4. Add the remaining 1tbsp of olive oil and add the garlic, cooking for about 30 seconds, then add the chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking for 5 minutes or until the garlic and tomato has begun to reduce and thicken.
5. Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 5.
6. Add the stock and saffron infused water from the saucepan, stir in the frozen peas, green beans and season with the paprika. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Now add the rice in a criss-cross pattern, stir well to ensure all the ingredients are mixed evenly and cook on a medium heat for 5–7 minutes.
8. At this point the rice should have absorbed most of the liquid and will rise to the surface, remove from the heat.
9. Place directly into the pre-heated oven and bake for 5 minutes, remove and quickly garnish the Paella; starting with artichoke heart in the centre, then lay the asparagus and pimiento peppers around.
10. Next press the mussels into the paella, you can place them around the edges or in little clusters randomly, it’s entirely up to you!
11. Place back into the oven and cook until the rice is al dente – cooked with a slight bite! We recommend 10 minutes; however you may need to check from time to time on this final cook, as ovens vary- if it looks too dry, then gently ladle over a very small amount of boiling water.
12. Remove from the oven and cover with kitchen foil or a clean towel, let thePaella stand for 5 minutes and place the lemon wedges around the edge.
Note: Wine isn’t typically used in Spain with Paellas, this is our little
La Tasca twist on the Classic Paella.
Now you can sit down with your friends at home and enjoy it together!